Friday, June 20, 2008

Fare at the Fair

Our family went to our summer fair yesterday. We managed to last for 8 hours--pretty great for a 4yr old and 1yr old. We had so much fun. The fair itself was enjoyable, but the most extraordinary part was being together as a family. With Bean working 55+ hours a week, our time together as a family of 4 is quite limited.

If there is one thing a Fair is known for, besides toothless carney's and rickety rides, it's FRIED FOOD! They fry everything there. And it all smells and looks SO good. Normally would I be interested in fried avocado? I don't think I would. But at the fair, it just calls to me. (don't worry, I didn't answer)

For someone who is trying to maintain weight loss or lose more, a fair full of fried food is nothing but a danger zone. I knew I would definately want to enjoy some of the fair food, but I didn't want to overdo it.

We found out we could bring a cooler into the fair and check it for free at Guest Services. We could also bring in sealed bottles of water. Not only did this save us money, but it saved me some calories!

I determined ahead of time to only eat something if I was genuninely hungry. No eating just for the sake of eating. And I wanted to be sure to think about what I was eating not just mindlessly putting food in my mouth.

I was very successful in not overeating. In fact, the only food item I ate on my own was a cinnamon roll. I had a taste or a few bites of a few other things, but I didn't over do it.

Although my brain was telling me to eat dinner at home later that night, I felt very full, so I resisted the temptation to eat out of habit.

These are the examples I hope to set for my children. We can enjoy special treats at special times. But we don't need to overdo it just because it's there.

No comments: