Saturday, June 14, 2008

Short shorts

In the last few months I've reached a long-time goal. I have had a problem for most of my adult life. Chafing. I have muscular legs and I tend to carry some of my extra weight in my thighs. I've always had to wear spandex when exercising if I was going to be comfortable. Not that I mind spandex. I've ran for a few years in the same pair of Adidas spandex capris.

I've always been jealous of the women who run by in their little short shorts and tight tank tops or sports bras.

Recently however, I decided to give running a try in some shorter shorts that I use for workout DVD's. Mind you--they aren't daisy dukes...but in the past, there would have been chafing involved in their use.

To my great surprise, I was able to run in them. Without any major chafing. Whoo-hoo. That's not to say I have these super slim thighs that don't touch at all. I guess they are just a shape now that works well with the shorts.

Me and my spandex will ALWAYS be great friends. But right now, as the weather is warm, less fabric and more airflow are enjoyable.

However, I don't think I'll ever be found running with my midriff showing or in a sports bra. Not unless there is plastic surgery involved and I don't see that happening. Two pregnancys, two 8lb+ babies and two c-sections have pretty much dashed all those hopes. That's alright though. I can still wear the short shorts. And I have beautiful babies!

on another note...


I've been encouraged this week to see a few more pounds make their exodus. It's always hard to maintain that on the weekends--especially when there are holidays involved like Father's Day and my upcoming birthday. As I've been complaining about...the last few pounds are so slow in coming off. But I've just decided that's the way it's going to be and as long as I still with good eating and exercise, they will. I am at a weight right now that I don't even know if I saw in high school! Looking back at photos, I was a bit more of a chub than I remember. A few more pounds to go, and then working on maintaining begins!

2 comments:

Jaimie said...

Finally, someone who admits this common womanly problem!! :) Good for you on getting to wear your short shorts! My goal would also be shorter shorts without them riding up in the middle. Always embarrassing. I used to have nice legs in high school and now they definitely have their share of cellulite and extra baggage. So, something for me to work on. I, too, have that post-baby belly/stretch mark action/extra skin thing going on. So frustrating!!!

Jaimie said...

P.S. By the way, I don't think anyone who ever saw you in HS or college would have described you as a chub!!! (And believe it or not, I do remember seeing you in HS at camp and wishing I got to sing with Mike DeVito!) :)