Thursday, June 26, 2008

What's a girl to eat?

Honestly now, there are so many foods and food ingredients now that we aren't supposed to eat, that we are allergic to, that will make us prone to disease, that will make us gain weight...the list just goes on and on. My poor youngest sister is having digestive issues with gluten and dairy. She doesn't complain much, but it has to be miserable. I guess for her not feeling sick is worth the food she can't eat. My friend over at The Good Life is on a gluten diet and now can't eat corn. The list just goes on.



I'm doing a 15-day cleanse right now. It's specifically for someone who hasn't ever done a cleanse before. It's just 2 capsules in the morning and 2 capsules at night. The suggested diet includes raw fruits and veggies, raw almonds and seeds, multi-grains, brown rice, eggs and lean protein. Basically, the cleanse will work best if your diet consists of only these foods, but there should still be benefits if you aren't.

I'm trying to follow the food list. Key word...trying. For some reason, eatin eggs early in the morning makes me ill. Maybe it's the strong smell. I am a girl who needs her protein and complex carbs. So what am I to eat...fruit and nuts? Exciting. No yogurt, no oatmeal, no bread. Oh I know there is stuff out there creatively made that would fit on the list. But I don't have tons of money to go out and spend either.

It's not just the cleanse that I have an issue with. It just seems like food these days is so processed and altered it's next to impossible to easily eat well. It requires special shopping and preparation. Buying certain kinds of food. Looking at ingredients. I do a lot more of it now than I used to.

My own little uneducated philosophy is that we've broken down our bodies to the point where they can't handle even good foods. I hope that through seeking some help, my sister can get her body healed enough to enjoy a little gluten and dairy in her life.

There are so many flavors and textures in the foods God created. I have to believe they were meant to be enjoyed. We should not have to subsist on bland boring diets. Our taste buds have become warped too...we don't enjoy those natural flavors as much and crave the artificial stuff.

So tomorrow morning I will wake up, take my two capsules, wait 30 minutes and look longingly at my oatmeal cereal mix that I love so much, and eat some fruit and nuts. Cheers!

1 comment:

missyjoymo said...

I miss my oatmeal too :(