Sunday, September 7, 2008

Going Green

"Green" is one of the big buzzwords in many segments of life. Of course, referring to what is more natural, environmentally safe and better for our bodies. I'm all for going green and not harming ourselves and our environments to the best of our ability.

For me though, going green needs to refer to more vegetables. For all my exercise and health-conscious ways, I fail miserably at eating my daily veggies, and even at feeding them to my kids.

I do like vegetables. Of course, I probably like a good brownie or cookie more--but who doesn't. I've been known to eat a can of green beans for a snack, straight from the can with a little salt sprinkled on. I love peas. I enjoy salad and broccoli, squash, yams and more.

Yet, often I don't put the time and effort into preparing them. Sometimes, it's that I don't have the time. The other problem is that I'll buy veggies, but then I forget about them and they go bad and I throw away soft, moldly spoiled vegetables.

I know now more than ever, being pregnant, I need my vegetables. But still I fail. I bought a great spring lettuce mix at Costco last week--and two days later found mold growing in it. I intended to take it back, but by then it was the middle of my busy workweek and there just wasn't time. I had great intentions!

Then there is my kids, who hardly like anything green. Not that many kids their age do. I make Miss Rose eat peas and green beans. Gracie will eat peas most of the time. I know it just takes continued exposure--but that takes time! Which is hard for a working mom, who's taking a class, has a daughter in soccer and a husband who works a few nights a week.

I bought the new book about "hiding" vegetables in different food recipes, but I can't seem to find the time to actually make the recipes. Excuses, excuses, I know.

So, there is my confession for the week. How do you keep vegetables in your diet and your family's?

2 comments:

Jaimie said...

Wow, that's pretty good of you to eat green beans straight out of the can!! I'm not a fan of those myself :) My kids do not like veggies right now so I also use "Deceptively Delicious" and puree' a lot. I can usually do it all in one night and then freeze them for later. I put the puree's in scrambled eggs, french toast, mac & cheese, quesadillas, burritos, lasagna, spaghetti, etc... Just this week I decided to make about 6 recipes out of that book and went and bought everything for them (I finally felt guilty enough that they haven't had any veggies lately). I also give them peas a lot and carrots at lunch, which they sometimes eat. Good luck! It is hard work...

Unknown said...

I guess my kids are not the norm! They love fresh spinach, steamed broccoli, green beans, peas, carrots and corn. I do my best to keep the frozen bags on hand and incorporate them into as many meals as possible :) I think it may have to do with the fresh purees I made when they were babies.